12:37 PM 0 Comments

Diving Into Android Development Tonight

   I have downloaded Andorid SDK bundle, ADT Plugin, and Java. This is a new laptop and I forgot to install java after I got it. I will outline my steps here and offer any tips or tricks I find along the way. I have experience writing in Java, so this will assume you do also. Wish me luck. 

  • Download the Android SDK.
  • Install the ADT plugin for Eclipse (if you’ll use the Eclipse IDE).
  • Download the latest SDK tools and platforms using the SDK Manager.
  • Install Java... If you have not already... *cough* :) 


Follow the steps here: Creating an Android application
    The link above is what I followed for creating my first project. Pretty straight forward. Only thing I did different was name my project Sandbox. 

    To get this to run on an older LG android phone I had to download it's OEM USB drivers. Then use an android command "adb devices" in the SDK's Platform-tools folder. To see if my device was properly connect. This page helped "Using Hardware Devices"



Next I had got the app to run on my Nexus 7. I had to use windows device manager to point the driver update at the files I downloaded from ASUS. Just another FYI.



   I did the next page and got the app to open and send an INTENT into another Activity. Well I am to the screen now. I just need a great app idea now. I have my developer environment set up. Follow the rest of the my first app guide if you need. It is a great starting point. I just needed to figure out how to launch my apps on devices. Super excited to get going with Android development. 





Unknown

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

0 comments: